[Beowulf] A fairly simple question

V B Hunt shoalcreek5 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 12:19:50 PDT 2005

I am a total newbie when it comes to clusters and HPC.  At the same
time, I am very interested in the concept and am planning on building my
own Beowulf.  The purpose of my Beowulf will be to learn parallel
programming, learn more about problems that HPC solves well, and because
I want to ;-)  My question is what is the minimum number of nodes to
effectively learn programming techniques for clusters?  Just by thinking
about it, I would guess that two slave nodes and a head node would be
the minimum; however, I have absolutely no practical experience with
it.  What are the differences, if any, in programming for a 2-node
cluster vs. a 3-node cluster vs. a 4-node cluster vs. a 16-node cluster
vs. 1024-node cluster?  This is assuming the hardware of each node is
identical to every other node, except for the head node.

Thanks in advance.

Brice Hunt