[Beowulf] Beowulf building book (fwd)

Douglas Eadline - ClusterWorld Magazine deadline at clusterworld.com
Mon Apr 18 07:23:42 PDT 2005

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005, Robert G. Brown wrote:

> And another.  Recycling old hardware into OTHER beowulfs is another
> often held dream, with the usual problem of getting functioning hardware
> from point A (where it is) to point B (where it is needed/wanted).
> There are also energy efficiency/Moore's Law considerations that have
> been discussed on list before.
>
> For this sort of thing to work, there needs to be some sort of "cluster
> exchange" site where people can post a list of nodes they'll give away
> and other people can offer to pay the shipping... maybe CWM can set such
> a thing up, or a list volunteer with a Green philosophy can contribute
> and periodically advertise...

I like that idea. I can set up a form and a "Used Cluster Hardware Page"
that could list the hardware, condition, location, and a contact.

Although, The donor will have to pack up the hardware -- which can take
some time and expense. (i.e. finding decent boxes to ship servers can be
difficult)

If there is interest in this, let me know. I actually have some old stuff
I would donate as well. (it costs too much to keep it running!)

Doug