[Beowulf] MareNostrum - pray for cooling

award at andorra.ad award at andorra.ad
Wed Apr 13 23:54:00 PDT 2005

> http://www.upc.edu/catala/la-upc/govern/bupc/hemeroteca/2004/b69/20-09-2004.pdf
>
> It's in Catalan but you can make some sense of it by picking
> the nearest words in either French or Spanish (I'm not
> fluent enough to publish a translation.)  Have a look at the
> diagrams near the end.  It looks like a lot more than 1290
> sq feet is assigned to this computer.  The chapel floor seems to
> be untouched and is presumably still used - although given the
> roar of the cluster nearby, perhaps only for services for the deaf.

Right.

I noted the space is for "supercomputadora i instal.lacions" ...
instal.lacions can mean anything from actual electronics doing
calculations to air vents to cabling and so forth.

I wouldn't worry too much about noise. Roman architecture tends toward
solid, thick walls, unlike Gothic. They will just program cluster downtime
for the 2-3 occasions a year when anyone will actually use the chapel.