[Beowulf] Heat transfer simulation

Mark Hahn hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca
Mon Apr 11 21:52:03 PDT 2005

> The purpose of the simulation is just justify and demostrate the
> cost-performance and benefits of a beowulf cluster.

this is a terribly bad idea.  building a cluster MUST be driven
by real, demonstrable needs, preferably several independent
researchers who are in physical pain because their simulations
are too slow ;)

wanting a cluster and then trying to dig up some justification for it
is a doomed approach.

but yes, heat-flow simulations are commonly run on clusters;
as far as I understand, they're not nearly as challenging
as simulations that involve mass flow or phase change
(gases, fluids, melting, etc).