[Beowulf] Using VMWare and Beowulf to create one very large machine

Guy Coates gmpc at sanger.ac.uk
Fri Apr 8 01:34:09 PDT 2005

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, Eric Thibodeau wrote:

> Sounds like your project is much more OpenMosix-centric than
> Beowulf-centric. I suggest you look into OpenMosix instead.

Take a look at openssi too;

http://www.openssi.org/

It also allow you to take disparate machines and turn them into a single
cluster (it uses the openmosix schedular for process load balancing)

IF you want an easy test of both products, there are knoppix CDs with
mosix:

http://bofh.be/clusterknoppix/

and openSSI

http://www.openssi.org/cgi-bin/view?page=download.html

Boot the CD on one machine, PXEboot the rest and viola; instant cluster.

Guy

--
Dr. Guy Coates,  Informatics System Group
The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1SA, UK