[Beowulf] /. Cooler room or cooler servers?

Jim Lux James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Apr 7 16:11:41 PDT 2005

At 03:29 PM 4/7/2005, Mark Hahn wrote:
> > No mention of PowerPC which runs far cooler (1/2?) than Intel/AMD:
>
>except that it doesn't.
>
> > http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/apple/power-useage.pdf
>
>lovely graph.  alas, the numbers are pure fantasy.  yes, I actually
>did measure a dual xserve g5 (not heavily configured) and it was 200-210W,
>quite comparable to dual-opterons and even dual-xeons.

Leaving aside such tantalizing issues as what is a GHz, in terms of useful
work.

However, if we do a straight watts/GHz, Xeon is 34.375, G4 is 33.8 ... not
too much difference.

One also needs to look at important ancillary issues like power consumption
of the cache, bus drivers, etc.  And, of course, instruction stream makes a
big difference.

I have a DSP system down in the lab that happens to be instrumented for
these sorts of things.  The power consumption while running a program
varies by a factor of 10:1.  During FFT's the power consumption is very
high (since both ALUs, and all the addressing registers, and pipeline
registers are running at peak performance).  When moving data off chip to
external devices, the power drops way down.  You can see the end of each of
the 9 passes in the FFT, as a dip in power while the indexing is
reinitialized, etc.

In fact, the ability to see the instantaneous power was an extremely
valuable debugging tool on a processor where we didn't have a lot of real
time visibility.  An interrupt coming in at the "wrong" time, or an
inopportune context switch, was painfully obvious on an oscilloscope.

James Lux, P.E.
Spacecraft Radio Frequency Subsystems Group
Flight Communications Systems Section
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena CA 91109
tel: (818)354-2075