[Beowulf] MPI questions

Jake Thebault-Spieker jake at spiekerfamily.com
Mon Apr 4 16:42:56 PDT 2005

I guess my question is how do I use MPI? Will the MPICH implementation
work with a program written for MPI? Does one need MPICH on all of the
nodes, or just the master node?

I think computer viruses should count as life.
I think it says something about human nature
that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive.
We've created life in our own image.
- --Stephen Hawking

010010100110000101101
011011001010010000001
010100011010000110010
101100010011000010111
010101101100011101000
010110101010011011100
000110100101100101011
010110110010101110010
<//www.plinko.net\\>
Jake Thebault-Spieker

Jack wrote:

>> What is the difference between MPI? Does MPI need to be running on all
>> the nodes or just the node that the job was started on? Is the debian
>> package MPICH the correct one?
>>
> The various MPI distributions (OpenMPI, LamMPI, MPICH) all attempt
conform to a set of MPI standards. Thus, sometimes they differ slightly
in implementation, but normally a code will run on all of them (though
you will need to compile it usuing the correct libraries).

> About the running on the nodes question: when, for instance in the Lam
distribution, you say "lamboot <machine_list>", it goes out and starts
the "lamd" daemon. Then, when you say "mpirun whatever", all these
daemons on the hosts each start their process with the correct rank
number, and they deal with the transactions between nodes.

> Is that the correct one? Sure. It will probably work, though we have no
idea exactly what you want to do.