[Beowulf] Compiling HPL

Kevin Ball kball at pathscale.com
Mon Apr 4 09:56:51 PDT 2005

Hi Jack,

  It looks like you might have a typo in your includes:
/usr/local/lam-7.1.1/share/include should be

Without that, gcc thinks /usr/local/lam-7.1.1/share/include is a source
file, and as it stated you cannot use -o with -c and multiple source

  For future reference, the way that hpl runs its make system is as

1)  You make a Make.arch file that specifies details for your
architecture/setup/etc.  This is your Make.Linux_PII_CBLAS.  This file
goes in the top level.

2)  When you run 'make arch=Linux_PII_CBLAS', they create a subdirectory
for Linux_PII_CBLAS in every src directory.

3)  In that directory, they create a symbolic link Make.inc to your

4)  Into that directory they copy the appropriate make file from
hpl/makes (e.g. hpl/makes/make.auxil).  Each of these make files has an
'include Make.inc' in it.

5)  They run make from these directories.

Thus they are actually running make from a subdirectory of each of the
src dirs.  This is why the include paths are so often referencing many
directories above, and why you were seeing references to

  Don't worry about having screwed things up by copying over that file;
its recopied each time anyway.  Just be careful not to get rid of the
files in hpl/makes.

Hope this helps!