[Beowulf] SMC 8524T jumbo frame problems

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Tue Sep 28 16:24:59 PDT 2004

Hi folks,

We've recently picked up a number of SMC 8524T 24-port gig switches to build a
separate pan-cluster network for filesystem I/O because all the blurb we can
find says that they support jumbo frames.

However, although our IBM x335 nodes (BCM5703 adapters and bcm5700 drivers)
can happily talk to each other with an MTU of 9000 when connected via a
crossover cable, once we plug them into the switch any MTU in excess of 1500
results in no communication according to tracepath. :-(

Anyone here got any experience with these and any pointers to what we might be
missing ?

We are going to chase this with the suppliers as well seperately.

cheers,
Chris