[Beowulf] x86-64 NUMA vs SMP kernel: appl. performance?

Andrew Piskorski atp at piskorski.com
Fri Sep 24 13:52:16 PDT 2004

On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 07:34:33PM +0400, Mikhail Kuzminsky wrote:

> I have possible choice between using of SMP or NUMA-enabled x86_64
> kernels (2.4.21 from SuSE Linux 9.0 distributive). We use 2-way
> Opteron-based nodes w/2 GBytes RAM per node (symmetrical DIMMs
> occupation).

Is there some special reason you're even asking the question?  Opteron
is ccNUMA, so any Linux kernel specifically optimized for it (which I
think means 2.6.x) should give the same or better performance than an
older kernel that has no proper NUMA/Opteron support, no?

--
Andrew Piskorski <atp at piskorski.com>
http://www.piskorski.com/