[Beowulf] building a new cluster

SC Huang schuang21 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 1 00:36:12 PDT 2004

I am about to order a new cluster using a $100K grant for running our in-house MPI codes. I am trying to have at least 36-40 (or more, if possible) nodes. The individual node configuration is:
dual Xeon 2.8 GHz
512K L2 cache, 1MB L3 cache, 533 FSB
gigabit NIC
80 GB IDE hard disk
The network will be based on a gigabit switch. Most vendors I talked to use HP Procurve 2148 or 4148.
Can anyone comment on the configuration (and the switch) above? Any other comments (e.g. recommeded vendor, etc) are also welcome.

Do you Yahoo!?