[Beowulf] High Performance for Large Database

Laurence Liew laurenceliew at yahoo.com.sg
Tue Oct 26 18:29:58 PDT 2004

Hi,

You may wish to search thru the beowulf list or google for "beowulf and
databases and postgresql"... there were a couple of threads on exeactly
this issue.

Very briefly

1. Beowulf clusters CANNOT help make Postgresql or any databases run
faster. You need the database code to be modified to do that (think
Oracle 10g). I met a company at Supercomputer 03 last year that had
Mysql running on a cluster... you may wish to query for them.

2. You could try to sponsor the development of a parallel postrgresql -
talk to the postgresql development team... when I broached the idea in
1998.. there was some interest.. unfortunately.. I could not afford the
development/sponsorship costs then.

3. Try running Postgresql on a cluster filesystem like PVFS - it is not
gauranteed as it probably fails the ACID test for a SQL compliant
database. The basic idea is that if we cannot parallelise the database -
we make the underlying IO parallel and hence boost the IO performance of
the system.. and any applications that run on them.. and this includes
Postgresql.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
Laurence