[Beowulf] bandwidth: who needs it?

Philippe Blaise philippe.blaise at cea.fr
Fri Oct 22 00:41:58 PDT 2004

The naive formula

T_size = T_0 + size / max_bandwidth

for
size1/2 = T_0 * max_bandwith
gives

T_size1/2 = 2 * T0

which is a characteristic message length : you reach (more or less) half
the bandwith,
and it takes 2 *  latency seconds to send / recv the message.

For example, with T_0 = 5 usec and max_bandwith = 400 or 800 MB/s you obtain

T_size1/2(5, 400) = 5 * 400 = 2 kB
T_size1/2(5, 800) = 5 * 800 = 4 kB

Phil.