[Beowulf] dual Opteron recommendations

Bill Broadley bill at cse.ucdavis.edu
Thu Oct 21 19:03:50 PDT 2004

On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 10:48:33AM +0200, Alan Scheinine wrote:
> Many venders sell U1 cases for dual Opteron based on the Tyan
> main boards, but on the other hand, a vender here says that the
> product Newisys 2100 is much more reliable than Tyan though it
> costs 10 to 20 percent more.  I have not previously heard of
> Newisys and I do not recall it being mentioned in this mailing
> list.  Would anyone like to comment?
> best regards,

I'm familar with 48 sun v20z (newisys) machines around here, only one
died so far with a hard memory error (I.e. won't boot).

We also have 40 ish Tyan systems without any failures, all were burned
in by the vendor.

Speaking of which, has anyone done anything useful with the v20z LCD
display, ours just say something like IP address of the management
interface and OS booted or similar.

I was hoping for hostname, maybe system load, even a way to pull a node
out of the queue (there are several buttons under the LCD).

--
Bill Broadley
Computational Science and Engineering