[Beowulf] choosing a high-speed interconnect

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Tue Oct 12 13:48:57 PDT 2004

First questions first:

  Why do you think you need a faster network, and what aspect of fast do
you think you need?  Low latency?  High bandwidth?

Then...

  What codes are you running?  Across how many CPUS?  Have you done a
performance analysis on your system to observe "slow" runs in progress,
and are you convinced that the network is the issue?

We have done lots of tuning bits for customers where the issues wound up
being something else than what they had thought.  It is worth at least
looking into for your code/problems, and identifying the bottleneck (if
you haven't already done so).

That said, all the below require an external "switch" fabric.  All range
from $500-$2000 per HBA, and about $1000 or more per switch port.
Varies a bit.  Performance is comparible in most cases, with IB  seeming
to have a higher ceiling than the others.

Joe