[Beowulf] HPC in Windows

Erik Paulson epaulson at cs.wisc.edu
Mon Oct 11 10:16:50 PDT 2004

On Sat, Oct 09, 2004 at 06:11:01PM -0400, Robert G. Brown wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Oct 2004, Rajiv wrote:
>
> > Dear All,
> >     Are there any Beowulf packages for windows?
>
> Not that I know of.  In fact, the whole concept seems a bit oxymoronic,
> as the definition of a beowulf is a cluster supercomputer running an
> open source operating system.

It's really time that gave up on trying to hold a strong definition
to "beowulf". It's like kleenex or hacker/cracker. The world doesn't
care. Clusters of x86 PCs doing "HPC" = beowulf

And on the Beowulf on Windows bit -
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0262692759/qid=1097514164/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/104-7091285-1915902?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

"Beowulf Cluster Computing with Windows (Scientific and Engineering Computation)
by Thomas Sterling" - If Tom says that you can build a beowulf on
Windows, I think you can.

-Erik

ps - define "supercomputer" :)