[Beowulf] Linux memory leak?

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Wed Oct 6 09:14:38 PDT 2004

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, Chaurasia Umesh wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am Umesh Chaurasia working in Siemens. I got your mail id from Linux forum
> .
> We have developed application on Linux 7.2 Kernel 2.4. System H/W
> configuration is 1 GB RAM, P-4, 2.4 GHZ.
> When we are putting our system on load after whole night we found only 5 MB
> memory left whereas in start it was 800 MB.

Are you SURE that you are not counting the buffer memory as used?
Linux uses free memory as disk buffer, which is released on demand.
Please send us your output from 'free' and 'vmstat'

Also, and I hate to say this, I guess you mean Redhat 7.2 which is very
long in the tooth.
Redhat 9 is end-of-life.

You should consider Redhat Enterprise or Fedora Core 1 for 2.4 series
kernels. (And yes,