[Beowulf] Gigabit Eithernet Ring

Daniel Pfenniger daniel.pfenniger at obs.unige.ch
Tue Nov 23 00:32:14 PST 2004

Hi Steve,

Your site was unavailable, so I cannot comment on your N-body method.  But if you use a
communication ring you might well be calculating the full N(N-1)/2 interactions, which
is computationally very expensive and not necessary for many N-body problems.  Tree
based methods lower the computational complexity to O(N lnN), or even
O(N).  The current most efficient O(N) Fast Multipole like algorithms is by Walter
Dehnen (http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0003209).  Such calculations are approximate but
with a tunable accuracy parameter to the wished level.  Then on a single PC one can run
typically a N=10^5 problem in a matter of days, what would require a large cluster
at the same speed with the O(N^2) "exact" straight algorithm, or with special purpose
GRAPE hardware.   Of course nowadays the best of the best is to build a cluster of
PC's with each one or several GRAPE boards, which is not pure Beowulf since the
GRAPE boards do not belong to commodity hardware.

On the question of ring network vs. switch in your setup, for the O(N^2) algorithm most
of the time is spent in computation as soon as N exceeds a few 1000, so the
communication method is of secondary importance.

	Dan