[Beowulf] Register article on Opteron - disagree

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Mon Nov 22 09:52:57 PST 2004

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Sean Dilda wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 13:12, Robert G. Brown wrote:
> > On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Joe Landman wrote:
> >
> > (the latest in some lovely discussions)
> >
> > Well, I finally did it.  By hand, and with no inclusions beyond
> > Patrick's original reply, I broke the 43K list limit and my rant is
> > hence awaiting proctoring.
>
> I think the real question is, why don't your emails normally wait for
> proctoring?  From what I can tell, all emails to this list have to be
> approved by hand, except for yours.
>
> I know all of my emails are held with the reason 'Post to moderated
> list'
>
> Personally, I think if Don wants to limit posts to list member, that's
> fine.  But he shouldn't choose a few list members to automatically get
> their posts approved, and others who don't.

Actually, I'll bet that it is because you post from a different email
address than you originally joined the list with.  This is especially
likely if you mail from several addresses or domains and have changed
addresses in the recent past.  I'm guessing that your originating
address was NC state and/or scyld, not duke.edu.

You might try joining the list several times with your most common email
addresses (but simply turn off delivery to all but one) and see if that
helps.

I mean, Don COULD have a whitelist/blacklist/greylist set up, but given
mailman it is a lot simpler to set up and hence more likely that it only
allows posting by list memembers, and only knows list members by their
email address.  I've had the same email address for a LONG time now --
much longer than I've been on the list.

Obviously he knows you personally and knows that you aren't a stealth
spammer, so even if he does have moderation plus whitelisting set up,
its just a matter of accident that you aren't whitelisted.

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu