[Beowulf] Re: torus versus (fat) tree topologies

Dan Kidger daniel.kidger at quadrics.com
Sun Nov 21 04:50:56 PST 2004

On Saturday 20 November 2004 9:53 pm, Pfenniger Daniel wrote:
>  > I could not however easily find a complete list of Infiniband price
>  > anywhere. Most all vendors I tried require requesting a quote. Does
>  >anyone have a nice online source for such pricing?
>
> Googling gave a German site with clear prices:
> http://www.olmos.de/infini.html?lang=en&tax=no&xtra=&currency=USD
>
> The cost of 24 port switches has decreased by more than a factor 10
> with repect to list prices of a defunct InfiniBand company 20 months ago,
> without taking the falling USD into account.

I believe that currently Myrinet (revE) is more expensive than Quadrics, but I
thought that Infiniband was now often cheaper than Quadrics. However this
German website seems to contradict this view?

     Can someone on the list who understands Voltaire's products, say how much
an Infinband switch for a 128node cluster would cost?   It is an ISR-9288
($29,950) with four sLB-24 cards ($10,950 each) = $73,750 or am I missing
something ?

As for the other components; Voltaire, Quadrics and Myricom(revE) cards all
cost pretty much the same. cables costs are almost identical (remembering
revE uses 2 cables per node). All three vendors have free open-source
drivers, libraries and MPI.

Daniel.

Dr. Dan Kidger, Quadrics Ltd.      daniel.kidger at quadrics.com
One Bridewell St., Bristol, BS1 2AA, UK         0117 915 5505