[Beowulf] Re: Beowulf Digest, Vol 9, Issue 12

Patrick Geoffray patrick at myri.com
Fri Nov 12 15:33:22 PST 2004

Håkon Bugge wrote:
> I know of systems on previous lists which are listed as Myrinet systems,
> but are actually only running Gbe. This might stem from the fact that
> some vendors would like to get as many system listed as possible. When
> they have benchmarked and submitted an N-node cluster with Myrinet, it
> is very tempting to submit another N-node cluster using the same node
> hardware;-).

Can you see such systems on the last list ?

The Top500 team asked us before the official release to check the
Myrinet entries and we can confirm that we shipped hardware for all of
them.

We have found a few mistakes in the past (Ethernet cluster with the same
Rmax than similar Myrinet cluster for example). Sometimes, results are
abnormal (Myrinet clusters benchmarked with Ethernet or very bad
efficiency because of bad HPL parameters), sometimes people are too busy
to even run Linpack and their machines are not on the list, but vendors
tricks are usually easy to spot.

Patrick
--

Patrick Geoffray