Subject: [Beowulf] Re: SGE + policy

Steve Cousins cousins at
Fri May 28 13:56:25 PDT 2004

On Fri, 28 May 2004 beowulf-request at wrote:
> On Thu, 27 May 2004, Andrew Piskorski wrote:
> > On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 12:01:09PM -0700, beowulf-request at wrote:
> >
> > > Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 10:19:00 -0400 (EDT)
> > > From: "Robert G. Brown" <rgb at>
> >
> > > Primary tasks:  matlab and stata jobs, run either interactively/remote
> > > or (more likely) in batch mode.  Jobs include both "short" jobs that
> >
> > > Constraint:  matlab requires a license managed by a license manager.

I don't know if the proposed cluster is using dual CPU's but I believe you
can run multiple Matlab sessions on one node and use only one license.
So if you had two CPU's you could run two sessions (and more probably if
you had a bunch of interactive sessions) and use only one license.  This
would at least drop the number of licenses needed in half.  So, depending
on what the Matlab licenses cost these days maybe it would be cheaper to
get a bunch of 8 CPU Opterons :^o

 Steve Cousins, Ocean Modeling Group    Email: cousins at
 Marine Sciences, 208 Libby Hall
 Univ. of Maine, Orono, ME 04469        Phone: (207) 581-4302