[Beowulf] SGE + policy

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Thu May 27 08:49:30 PDT 2004

Consumable resources are your friends.   As is the grid-engine mailing
list.  This is a bit different than the other license management
problems discussed there, so the previous solutions are probably not
appropriate, but could be used as the basis for something that is
appropriate.

 Create 2 consumables, one for the short runs, one for the longer runs.
Have the sum of the consumable slots equal the number of licenses.
Interactive/short users submit to their consumable, and long running
users submit to theirs.

You really don't want to invoke checkpointing under SGE at this time.
SGE (and most schedulers under linux) don't checkpoint, they kill the
job.  Condor has application libs which do checkpoint, but I have no
idea how reliably this works.  Moreover, checkpointing a job with an
open license request tends to lock that license.  If the application
itself can checkpoint, you can hook that into the SGE checkpoint
mechanism to use that checkpoint rather than the OS feature.

This is not a great solution (2 consumables), but it does work, and can
be adjusted/tuned on a live cluster trivially.  You setup scripts to
launch jobs that detect the return code of the Matlab/other job, and
send the appropriate return code back to SGE (99 as I remember) to have
the job rescheduled if no licenses are available.  This of course
requires Matlab/other to be able to intelligently let you know if there
are no licenses available...