[Beowulf] harmonic mitigators vs PFC?

Mark Hahn hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca
Mon May 31 07:16:50 PDT 2004

> > Somewhere, about 3 or 4 months ago, someone posted a
> > link to a very nice
> > explanation of managing harmonics in this sort of
> > situation.
>
> this one? ;-)
> http://www.mirusinternational.com/pages/faq.html

no.  this equates "nonlinear load" with "has bad PFC", which is
clearly false for PFC switching power supplies.  in fact, this
any sense when the load is already corrected to .97 or better.

for our local project, we are acquiescing to the mitigators,
even though we clearly do not need them.  my personal hope is that
they'll do *something* useful to us, such as smoothing out the
incoming noise/spikes/etc.

regards, mark hahn.