[Beowulf] Redmond is at it, again

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pathscale.com
Thu May 27 15:27:08 PDT 2004

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 05:42:06PM -0400, Jeffrey B. Layton wrote:

> In fact, the last quote I got for a 72 node cluster averaged about
> $400 a node! Now management has started to compare this price
> to Windows

'Doctor, it hurts when I try to buy cluster software from a
non-cluster company!'

I don't know why you seem to think that only SuSE or Red Hat is the
place to go for Linux support. You mention later in your note that you
do talk to cluster vendors. I know of several who provide Linux
support for a reasonable fee. It would seem that your bean counters
would like that approach. I can't figure out from your explaination
why you don't buy from them.

-- greg (no longer a cluster vendor, and yes, PathScale's compilers do
support more than just SLES and RHEL -- our customers require it.)