[Beowulf] Re: harmonic mitigators vs PFC?

Andrew Piskorski atp at piskorski.com
Mon May 24 07:08:04 PDT 2004

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 06:12:46AM -0700, beowulf-request at beowulf.org wrote:

> Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 08:29:46 -0400 (EDT)
> From: "Robert G. Brown" <rgb at phy.duke.edu>

> When last I looked at this (not too long ago) not so many power supplies
> were PFC and the ones that were cost more (as one would expect).  The

I think most current desktops and the like DO still ship with non-PFC
supplies, but I'm not sure.

But FYI, newegg.com sells the Thermaltake Purpower 420W w/ Active PFC
for only $50.  I've only used it in one AMD Athlon box, but it did
work nicely while a generic cheapo "500 W" supply caused all sorts of
instability.  (Which I've also seen before with Athlons.)

Newegg is also currently selling at least one 300W Active PFC supply
for only $21.  With those kinds of prices, I don't see much reason to
ever use a non-PFC supply.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?&catalog=58&description=Active+PFC&Order=price

--
Andrew Piskorski <atp at piskorski.com>