squirrel cage - Re: [Beowulf] Re: Reliable CPU fans

Thu May 13 11:27:17 PDT 2004

hi ya shane

On Thu, 13 May 2004 canon at nersc.gov wrote:

> Richard,
>
> We've recently changed all of our Athlon based machines over
> to fans similar to this....
>
> http://www.dynatron-corp.com/products/cpucooler/cpucooler_model.asp?id=47#
>
> It is a squirrel cage design which seems to move more air and has
> better reliability (from our experience) than the vertical style
> fans from the same manufacturer.  Unfortunately, the manufacturer
> doesn't supply MTBF's for this fan.  I can say this...  The vertical

as far as i know, dynatron is just a reseller like thousands of
folks selling fans

squirrel cages ( aka cross blow fans ) are a LOT more air ... and LOT
quieter
	http://www.linux-1u.net/HeatSinkFans/Lateral/
	( panasonic/nmb would be our better choices )

	- you can even order custom squirrel cages
	if you wanna make a jet engine quality fan blades
	( good for finite element simulations of the airflow
	( and fan blade desing to cool itself(the cluster) later

the regular fans most people ( 99% ) see are axial fans and noisy
when forcing air though the itty-bitty holes in the chassis
	http://www.linux-1u.net/HeatSinkFans/Axial/

c ya
alvin