[Beowulf] MyPBS but for SGE5/6?

Craig Tierney ctierney at HPTI.com
Thu Jun 24 14:28:03 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 14:20, Mark C. Ballew wrote:
> I saw that Eric Wages posted about Maine.edu's MyPBS project a few
> mintues ago, and it looks very interesting. Unfortunately, my site uses
> SGE 5 and soon 6. Are there any packages similar to MyPBS out there for
> SGE?

I haven't seen any that work directly with SGE.  If you by the
commercial version of SGE 6.0 it should have support for accounting.
If you switch your scheduler to Maui, that provides support
for Qbank.  However, the integrating of SGE+Maui is not complete,
and it doesn't sound like the project is moving forward.  You
can look into using Moab from Cluster Resources as your scheduler,
which provides support for QBank, but it is not free.

It doesn't look like it would take much work to integrate QBank
directly into SGE 6.0.  QBank explains how to integrate their
C API into DRMs.  If you could find the right place to put the
checks, I can't believe it would be more than 100 lines of code.
You need to insert code in 3 spots, so Qbank is called at job
submission, job start, and job completion.

You might be able to integrating Qbank with less work.  The
support wouldn't be as complete, but you could call Qbank from
the job prologue and epilogue scripts.  That might be enough
for your needs.

Craig