[Beowulf] Didn't we see this before?

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Thu Jun 24 07:20:30 PDT 2004

Do we have any particular reason to think this foray will produce a
Windows implementation that will offer significant benefit to the
science and engineering developers over what we're doing?

At the risk of being accused of taking things out of context, I
particularly liked this quote:

"Parallel-computing clusters are increasingly being seen in the
enterprise," Microsoft product manager Dennis Oldroyd says. "It's been
the domain of academia and research. Now, with low-cost standardized
hardware, it's becoming less of a niche play."

So: have we been relegated to niche status?  Somehow I thought what I'd
done with geodestic processing codes in the past was closer to
leading-edge than niche, but I guess, since I wasn't using Windows, I
was deluded.

<http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=22101604>

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.847.8578
Page: 979.228.0173