[Beowulf] SLC3 -- Holy Programmer's Trinity

Daniel Ridge dskr at mac.com
Sun Jun 20 12:45:16 PDT 2004

Greetings,

On Jun 18, 2004, at 1:12 PM, Michael Will wrote:

> You really just upgrade the software on the master node and then
> reboot your slaves and you are 100%
> done.

I think this sells the bproc-based machines a little short. Anyone can
build a setup
where things are magically upgraded after a reboot (even Microsoft)
What I like about all of the
bproc distros is that I can type 'make' in a source directory and run a
fresh binary right from there
without installing it. Forget pasteurization, it's like sucking
directly on a cow.

IMHO, cluster people fixate readily on concepts like 'install' and
'manage' and easily
lose sight of the people who actually create new and interesting
applications -- not
management metaware for frobbing the machine itself -- but actual
programs
that accomplish some useful purpose.

Everyone selling clusters -- people who depend on creative customers --
would do
well to remember that 'install' isn't a part of the Holy Programmers
Trinity and Cycle
of 'Edit, Compile, Run'.

Maybe I advocate Organic Cluster Software: Built by hand and never
installed or batch queued. :)

-DSKR