[Beowulf] broken binutils (was: Redmond is at it, again)

Mark Hahn hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca
Fri Jun 18 15:44:10 PDT 2004

> I do wonder however, why ld.so always gets loaded at the 1GB boundary
> therefore limiting stack space to less than 1GB.

it doesn't.  or rather, ld.so shows up there because TASK_UNMAPPED_BASE,
in most kernels on 32b x86, is 1GB.  that's the place where mmap starts
putting mapped regions, of which ld.so is simply the first.

you can change TASK_UNMAPPED_BASE.  you can even make it a sysctl.
you can link statically, in which case mmap is never used (watch out
for stdio using mmap for a buffer!).  there's even a patch to make
the mmap arena grow down (for people who care about max heap,
not max stack.)

this is a pretty old topic; there are sure to be numerous google hits.

regards, mark hahn.