Fedora cluster project? (was Re: [Beowulf] Opteron/Athlon Clustering)

Mitchell Skinner mitchskin at comcast.net
Wed Jun 16 20:39:20 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 06:44, Robert G. Brown wrote:
> I've been thinking about trying to set up a similar cluster tool
> packaging project (not really a "distribution" project, since it would
> just be an optional layer on top of Fedora or really pretty much any rpm
> based distro) here at Duke, as you can probably tell from my previous
> message.  However, the BEST way to do it is likely with lots of
> volunteers in many places working according to a common set of rules and
> with a common core repository and maybe CVS server.  That way different
> groups could "own" particular tools and be responsible for packaging and
> documenting the packaging of those tools, and (relatively infrequently)
> for repackaging updates/upgrades.  The BEST groups to do this, of
> course, are the primary tool developers, but this will likely come in
> time as they see how this process increases the users of their tools
> many fold.

Yes, "distribution" is not the word I should have used to communicate
what I was thinking; what I had in mind was a bit like the current
fedora.us (as you say, volunteers in many places with a common set of
rules and a common core repository and maybe CVS), with a cluster focus,
plus writing some glue code here and there to integrate the tools, and
choosing a good default package set/configuration.

I was also thinking of the DAG repository, which builds RPMs for a
number of red hat versions.  If it works well this way, then you could
certainly provide to non-fedora targets.  Whether this can easily be
extended to other distributions (or non-linux, as you suggested) is an
open question, I think.

Mitch