[Beowulf] CCL:Experiences with 64 bits AMD processors (fwd from marc at klingon.uab.es)

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Wed Jun 16 06:17:17 PDT 2004

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 at 6:21am, Eugen Leitl wrote

> ----- Forwarded message from Marc Noguera Julian <marc at klingon.uab.es> -----
>
> From: Marc Noguera Julian <marc at klingon.uab.es>
> Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 19:09:00 +0200
> To: chemistry at ccl.net
> Subject: CCL:Experiences with 64 bits AMD processors
>
> Hello,
> we  are interested in buying some more computational resources. In our
> group we are interested in 64 bit AMD processors, but we do not know
> about their compatibility. They are supposed, as AMD says,  to be32 bit
> compatible and therefore AMD 64 bit processor should be able to run any
> 32 bit application. Is that true? Any experience about this will help us
> a lot.

I have several Opterons running RHEL 3 WS for AMD64, and I run a mix of 32
and 64bit apps on them with no problem.  For commercial codes, this
includes Matlab (32bit) and LS-DYNA (I've run both 32 and 64bit versions
of this).  It just works, and the chips are quite fast.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering