humm Re: [Beowulf] Re: Redmond is at it, again

Mon Jun 14 11:28:09 PDT 2004

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004, Robert G. Brown wrote:

> > > It looks like its true what some says about open source code:
> > >
> > > A person with know-how will get a system free of charge.

a non-profit can usually get stuff for free  ( even from that corp up in
the nw )
	- no know-how needed for that part

hardware is cheap ...
	"we'll get around to it support is in-expensive"
	"good support is expensive"

> > > A smart person with know-how will get rich on selling a system that is
> > > free of charge.

only if you get bought out by a bigger fish

	- not many of them around ...  that "got rich" "selling systems
	free of charge"  ( presumably hardware, vs "selling sw" )

> > :-)  Also worth noting -- A smart person can in many cases maximize
> > their personal utility by contributing to a community-based software
> > development infrastructure in their area of specialty.

yuppers ...

c ya
alvin