[linux-elitists] Re: Fedora cluster project? (was Re: [Beowulf] Opteron/Athlon Clustering) (fwd from rgb at phy.duke.edu) (fwd from claw at kanga.nu)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Jun 10 00:24:40 PDT 2004

----- Forwarded message from J C Lawrence <claw at kanga.nu> -----

From: J C Lawrence <claw at kanga.nu>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 17:29:47 -0400
To: Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org>
Cc: 31337 <linux-elitists at zgp.org>
Subject: Re: [linux-elitists] Re: Fedora cluster project? (was Re: [Beowulf] Opteron/Athlon Clustering) (fwd from rgb at phy.duke.edu)

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 22:08:26 +0200
Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> Obviously I think it is a peachy idea;-) I'm going to try to talk to
> some of the various powers that be here at Duke this summer about this
> and see if we cannot create a core site for this within the Duke CSEM
> project and get some of the cluster engineers on campus to agree to
> contribute some time (which they are doing anyway for a lot of these
> tools, it is just time spent building one-offs for their clusters from
> tarballs) to do a proper, reusable packaging.

In what way would this be better/preferable to the work that has already
been done, packaged, and documented with Cluster Knoppix?

Is yet another cluster distribution and thus dilution of the available
effort across multiple projects really necessary?  We've been very
pleased with Cluster Knoppix in our HPC/cluster work here at Pfizer and

J C Lawrence

----- End forwarded message -----