[Beowulf] bonding and bandwidth

Douglas Eadline, Cluster World Magazine deadline at linux-mag.com
Tue Jun 8 12:43:55 PDT 2004

Been a while since I played with the bonding stuff, but do you still
need two separate fabrics (either two switches or a segmented switch)?

If you need two fabrics, then using one switch will limit your speed to one
NIC (at least that was my experience several years ago)

Doug

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, Jean-Marc Larré wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm testing bonding.c with two gigabit ethernet links toward a HP 2848
> switch. My kernel is 2.4.24 from kernel.org on RedHat 9.0
> modules.conf is like this :
> [root at node01 root]# cat /etc/modules.conf
> alias eth1 bcm5700
> alias eth2 bcm5700
> alias bond0 bonding
> options bond0 miimon=100 mode=balance-alb updelay=50000
>
> My problem :
> I get a bandwidth around 900Mbit/s and not 1800Mbit/s with netperf or
> iperf or NetPipe. Could you explain me why I'm not get 1800Mbit/s and
> where is my problem ?
>
> Thank you
> Sincerely.
> Jean-Marc

Editor-in-chief                   ClusterWorld Magazine
Desk: 610.865.6061
Fax:  610.865.6618                www.clusterworld.com