[Beowulf] Opteron/Athlon Clustering

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Sat Jun 5 13:33:17 PDT 2004

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, Jonathan Michael Nowacki wrote:

>   A couple of questions.  Is it possible to have a cluster of Athlons and
> a cluster of Opterons and use them as a whole for 32 bit computing and use
> the Opterons separately for 64 bit computing?  We currently are using 37
> Athlons running Rocks(Linux) and PBS (Portable Batch Systems), and are
> currently looking into buying a cluster of Opterons.
>
> Also, the people I work for are very wary about buying anything from
> anybody but big name companies like Dell, Compaq/HP, SGI, and IBM.  They
> are worried about total cost of ownership if something breaks.  The only
> problem is none of these companies sells rack-mount Opterons.

yeah they do actually.

take a look at:

ibm eserver 325
hp/compaq dl145
Sun Fire V20z Server

> What is a
> good company to buy rack-mount (dual and quad) Opterons from?

There are a number of companies out there, of the traditional rackmount
server vendor variety that sell quality 1u atx or wtx mainboard based
opterons... The realativly small number of mainboard vendors means that
differentiation is farily small in the 1u rackmount space, mainly along
the line of do you want scsi or ata or sata disks with that, do you want
two or four drives, how much ram and so forth.

1u 4way opterons built on the tyan 4880 are starting to appear as people
validate their termal management schemes 2u and larger are already quite
common...

if you have spcial needs I'd look at finding a reseller willing to
accomadate you and working with them more directly on what you have in
mind. I've used rackmountpro.com, asa computers and aberdeen in the past,
there are certainly others as well.