[Beowulf] Re: Redmond is at it, again

Douglas O'Flaherty douglas at shore.net
Thu Jun 3 22:30:46 PDT 2004

I wanted to add a 5th point to Laurence's excellent  summary that I
didn't see elsewhere.

(5) The developers require an environment for rapid iterations of code
development targetted to clusters.

Where Windows clusters have already been successful is in transfering PC
code to a compute farm for more efficient processing. Financial Analysis
using Monte Carlo comes immediately to mind. Tools such as Matlab (and
in another generation MSFT Visual Studio) can create code for
distributed computing. It's unlikely to be especially good MPI code, but
I bet it will work. Relative to QCD or modeling, Monte Carlo is barely
cluster computing, but it is a large and viable commercial market. This
is a similar driver for Xserves in the data centers of Life Science
researchers -- they already have Macs on their desks and they can turn
the code quickly.

The list has discussed the sysadmin and economic point of views very
well, but there hasn't been much about how tools for the end-user will
influences the decisions. Joe captured some of this referring to the ISV
support.

When Cornell deployed the Windows clusters back a few years, the typical
cluster developer grumbled some. The surprise was how many new users
asked to be on the Windows clusters. Many were not from the hard
sciences, but from economics and other departments who needed to do
numerical analysis. For the academics on this list, that may be an
un-tapped market for funds from other departments. You might learn to
like having a Windows cluster in the data center. I suggest calling it
Bofa ;)

doug