[Beowulf] Redmond is at it, again

Martin WHEELER mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Wed Jun 2 10:09:23 PDT 2004

On Wed, 26 May 2004, Roger L. Smith wrote:

> On Tue, 25 May 2004, Jeffrey B. Layton wrote:

> I'm just a bit uneasy about converting these large production clusters to
> any of the other distros.

Why?  (Genuinely curious.  As a European working in a European
environment, the *last* distribution I consider using is usually RH.
Horses for courses, probably.)

> Part of this reluctance is because I'm sure if I have problems with my
> commercial compilers or other commercial software that I run, they're not
> going to want to give me support if I'm running some distro that they've
> never heard of.

I genuinely don't understand this attitude.  (On your part or theirs.)
Any commercial software company supplying software to run under Linux
which hasn't heard of / isn't aware of Debian or SUSE or Mandrake
probably isn't worth bothering with in the first place, in my opinion.

Come to think of it: *are* there any that anyone knows of?

msw
msw at startext.co.uk