[Beowulf] About Beowulf in general

Glen Gardner Glen.Gardner at verizon.net
Sat Jul 24 09:17:20 PDT 2004

My understanding is that Beowulf was originally the name of a small 486
cluster, and then became the name of the project, so the name of the
cluster was then changed to Wiglaf in order to avoid confusing the
machines with the Beowulf concept.

It is worth noting that one definition of the word "Beowulf" is; "a
whisperer, a teller of tales". The name is quite appropriate for a
computer which relys on the passing of messages for operation.

Glen