[Beowulf] $2500 cluster. What it's good for?

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 19 12:07:52 PST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dean Johnson" <dtj at uberh4x0r.org>
To: "Jim Lux" <jimlux at earthlink.net>
Cc: <beowulf at beowulf.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 19, 2004 11:49 AM
Subject: Re: [Beowulf] $2500 cluster. What it's good for?

> On Dec 18, 2004, at 9:52 AM, Jim Lux wrote:
>
> > I think it would be interesting to contemplate potential uses of a
> > $2500
> > cluster.  Once you've had the thrill of putting it together and
> > rendering
> > something with POVray, what next?
>
> While not terribly elegant, scientifically interesting, or
> cluster-sexy, you could do distcc. "Look ma, I'm compiling over my
> cluster". High school kids might like to do cluster BLAST type stuff.
> There is certain value in getting the dog-looking-at-the-tv look from
> their parents when they explain their activities. "Well Son, I got no
> damn idea what you are talking about, but your Mom and I are very
> proud".

Having spent the morning watching Jimmy Neutron cartoons with the kids.. Why
not do Particle in Cell simulations for nuclear fusion?  You could optimize
the design of the grids in your very own inertial electrostatic confinement
fusion apparatus (you, too, can do table top fusion for <$1000... google for
"fusor" and "farnsworth")