[Beowulf] FW: $2500 cluster. What it's good for?

Alex Vrenios alex at DSRLab.com
Sat Dec 18 09:04:26 PST 2004

Hi,

The SETI at home group could use some extra cycles, and I understand that the
AIDS research people have a similar approach. The question now becomes: "How
do I run a Win screen saver on my cluster?

Speaking of "value clusters" my 8-node Compaq DeskPro 386 cluster cost me
just under $2000 back in 1995. It runs Linux Red Hat 4.2 because nothing
more recent would fit on a 30 MB hard drive!

I am looking into a project for it. Running MOSIX might be fun and I would
love to parallelize the SETI code - any thoughts? The only math reference I
could find is

   Papagiannis, "The Search for Extraterrestrial Life: Recent
   Developments," Int'l Astro Union, Symp #112.

Dr. Alex in Phoenix