[Beowulf] Keeping the Athlon MP cluster limping along

Bill Broadley bill at cse.ucdavis.edu
Thu Dec 9 14:59:22 PST 2004

> Looking over the other prices from that vendor (intrex.com, although I
> go to a local store) their cheapest AMD64 is the 2800 for $150, and
> they had an MSI socket 754 motherboard for $100.  All these motherboards
> seem to want non-ECC DDR400 (or slower) memory -- to get maximum

Hrm, I'm unsure, many motherboards like the MSI Neo line mention ECC as
"compatible" but I'm not sure that means that the ECC functionality
is enabled.

The north bridge is onchip and does support ECC:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485_9487%5E9493,00.html

Where it mentions:
	72-bit DDR SDRAM memory (64-bit interface + 8-bit ECC)

I've yet to find a s939 or s754 motherboard that specifically mentions
compatibility with ECC as well as the functionality.  Some of the older
athlon xp motherboards pulled this trick.  In particular having BIOS
allow turning ECC on/off would be reassuring.

--
Bill Broadley
Computational Science and Engineering