[Beowulf] Question: Who has apps that regularly swap?

Mark Hahn hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca
Mon Aug 30 21:41:14 PDT 2004

> Think of this question as kind of a poll. I'm just looking for how
> many people or how many apps swap.

a swapping app is, by definition, not making good use of the CPU.
which is the main resource we schedule, of course!  apps that swap
would show poor utilization, and their owners would receive a visit
from our efficiency hit-men ;)

actually, that leads to another survey question: do you schedule
your job by loadaverage or according to a resource-allocation scheme?
when a job runs on our systems, it's pretty much guaranteed a
free CPU.  this actually causes some strife with people who want
to run non-compute-bound jobs, or jobs which have dynamic amounts
of parallelism...

regards, mark hahn.