[Beowulf] compute node reboots with bproc/beo tools

Glen Gardner Glen.Gardner at verizon.net
Mon Aug 30 05:06:11 PDT 2004

The first thing that comes to mind is that the kernel might be
configured to reboot on a panic, and the machines are rebooting after
something in your software is causing a kernel panic. I've seen this
behavior on my cluster (14 mini itx boards, FreeBSD, MPICH) when I force
a panic by running the machine completely out of resources. Of course,
I've configured mine to do that in order to get out from under crashed
nodes on a bad run. In general one or two nodes will panic first, then
reboot. The job is thus terminated by brute force, sparing the rest of
the nodes from  a similar fate. Check the logs in the controlling node
and in the offending nodes to see if you can get more information about
what is going on.

It sounds like you are having troubles with a loadable kernel module.

I'm also wondering if all of your machines have the same kernel ?

Glen