[Beowulf] MPI performance on clusters of SMP

Philippe Blaise philippe.blaise at cea.fr
Thu Aug 26 09:18:40 PDT 2004

Hi Igor,

the situation is rather complex. You compare a N nodes x 2 cpus with a 2
* N nodes x 1 cpu machine,
but you forget the number of network interfaces. In the first case the 2
cpus share the network interface
and they share the memory too. And of course, in the first case, you
save money because you have
less network cards to buy... that's why cluster with 2 cpus boxes are so
common.
And the 2 cpus boxes can be smp (intel) or ccnuma (opteron)
Then, it's difficult to predict if a N nodes x 2 cpus machine
performance is better than the 2 N * 1 cpu
solution for a given program. The better way is to do some tests !
For example, a MPI_Alltoall communication pattern should be more
effective on a 2 N * 1 cpu machine,
but it could be the inverse situation for a intensive MPI_Isend /
MPI_Irecv pattern...

For your tiger box problem, first you should know that the intel chipset
is not very good,
then are you sure that no other program (like system activity) has
interfered with your measurments ?

regards,

Philippe Blaise