[Beowulf] mpich on OS X

Glen Beane beaneg at gandalf.umcs.maine.edu
Wed Aug 25 08:22:43 PDT 2004

I'm currently trying to build mpich-1.2.6 on OS X 10.3.5 using xlf 8.1
and xlc 6.0 and I get the following error at the linktest phase of the
make process:

mpich-1.2.6/bin/mpicc  -o overtake overtake.o test.o
/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
make[4]: *** [overtake] Error 1
make[3]: [linktest] Error 2 (ignored)
Could not link a C program with MPI libraries
make[3]: *** [linktest] Error 1
make[2]: *** [linktest] Error 2
make[1]: *** [mpi-lib-test] Error 2
make: *** [mpi] Error 2

I've compiled mpich-1.2.5 on a different OS X 10.3 system with xlf and
gcc without this problem. I tried using xlf and gcc now, with no change
in the behavior. I'm using very generic ./configure arguments
(--with-device=ch_p4, -prefix=~/mpich, -opt=O2, --disable-c++), and i'm
not passing any extra flags to the compilers or linker (which I'm
assuming is my problem).  Anyone know the linker/compiler flags I need
to get this to link properly?