space requirements

Judd Tracy jtracy at ist.ucf.edu
Sun Mar 30 12:23:36 PST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Hahn" <hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca>
To: <Beowulf at beowulf.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 29, 2003 5:36 PM
Subject: Re: space requirements

> > Just to let you know Extreme Networks has their BlackDiamond 6818 that
will
> > support upto 1440 100BT ports with 640Bbps non-blocking backplane all in
35U

> it's pretty impressive; I imagine the pricetag is too.
> I think the 640 Gbps is a bit wrong though (actually 256):
> http://www.extremenetworks.com/products/blackdiamond/chart.asp

I was looking at this page
http://www.extremenetworks.com/libraries/prodpdfs/products/bd.asp

      BlackDiamond 6816
      .   640 Gbps non-blocking bandwidth
      .   Route/filter/forward 192 million pps

> I'd question whether such a cluster would make much sense, though.
> do you know of a class of probles that would lead to O(1440-way)
> parallel jobs that needed only 100bT and yet had no hotspots?
> 31 47U racks full of 1U nodes, ugh!

I don't know of any that would need full speed at that size.   I was just
pointing out that theses sizes of swtiches do exists if you need them.

> there *are* sites which have real cluster networks (quadrics,
> perhaps myrinet) of that size.  iirc they're not quite full BB
> (fat trees and whatnot).  I'd still prefer a 740-node Quadrics
> net over 1440 100bT ;)

Even thought they are not full BB I am sure that are still faster then a
full 100BTx network.