sun grid engine?

Ron Chen ron_chen_123 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 26 18:17:53 PST 2003

--- Brian LaMere <blamere at diversa.com> wrote:
> To the point - does anyone actually use Sun's Grid
> Engine?

A few examples:
http://wwws.sun.com/software/gridware/case_studies.html

> and what sort of pro's and con's have they
> experienced?

There are many advantages:
1. free, opensource
2. Tech support from Sun and over 20 3rd party
   companies.
3. Friendly community mailing list support.
4. Under active development.
5. Supports many OSes (AIX, *BSD, HPUX, IRIX, Linux,
   MacOSX, Solaris, Tru64, NEC SX, Cray, Win2K).
6. There are a few web interfaces available.
7. Maui scheduler is also available.
8. You can configure the SGE deamons to encryt all
data
   sent via the network.
9. etc.

> Run well?

Yes.

> Stable?

Yes. I used to have over 20,000 jobs submitted to SGE.
And the largest SGE cluster has 1300 hosts.

Also, may be you are interested in the bio-cluster
setup:

http://bioteam.net/dag/biocluster-diary-1/

 -Ron