sun grid engine?

Mikhail Kuzminsky kus at free.net
Wed Mar 26 08:31:14 PST 2003

According to Brian LaMere

> this is not at all a request to be contacted by salepeople - please.  All
> such emails will be ignored.  I have a Sun rep already.
>
> To the point - does anyone actually use Sun's Grid Engine, and what sort of
> pro's and con's have they experienced?
  I can say about free SGE 5.3 version we are using. By my opinion,
the pluses, in particular, are (in addition to answers to your questions) simple
installation, good documentation, good graphical interface for administrator,
some Globus features (we don't use them currently, but paln to
use in the future).

> Run well?
  Yes.
> Enough functionality?
  By my opinion, yes. The main weak point is, IMHO, not
" too advanced" sheduler. In particular, in OpenPBS I may
implement MAUI source.
> Stable?
  Yes, it was one of the main reasons of our choice of SGE in comparison
w/OpenPBS.

Mikhail Kuzminsky
Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry RAS
Moscow